Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reality Check or Cop Out?

I am really looking forward to all my running plans next year. I've really picked up the running and been doing it consistently and built a good base since August and now I've signed up for a 24-hour race in Philly in July and I'm planning on signing up for my first 50 miler race in Key West in May.

After my 10k PR last weekend, I was feeling a little burned out. I trained really hard for it and exceeded my expectations but when I finished I was so tired and sore and put down by the fact that my best hardly even makes it to average.

After a week of dealing with sore shins, knees, feet, Achilles tendon (that always scares me the most) and a new thing for me, sore hips (although I suspect that's not from running but rather from carrying 32 pounds of E-man all over this city), I started thinking that maybe this goal of running 50 miles is a little far-fetched.

There are two reasons that I'm thinking this.

1) Will my body hold up?

If I'm falling apart during 10 mile runs, how in the world will I get through 50 mile runs? Now I've run 26.2, even 30 miles, but I did it real slow and with many walk breaks.

Now I'm starting to wonder, is my body made for real running?

2) Where will I find the time to train?

I'm a working mom of a toddler. I work about 30-40 hours per week. On top of that my toddler keeps me quite occupied. He has a lot of energy and likes for us to do things together so it's really hard to fit in 30-40 hours of work per week alone (not including housework, etc.) while taking care of him.

Gym time is actually really good for both of us, but we have a 2 hour limit.

This morning I found a temporary solution to problem one, I had a great run.

I don't know if it was the accidental day of rest I got yesterday or if I just run better in the morning, or if the freezing, damp temperatures acted like an ice bath during the 10 minute walk to and from the train station or maybe it was the compression socks I was wearing.

It could be that I just have my best workouts to Johnny Cash. Whatever it was, I had a great run this morning and boy did I need that!

After this morning I told myself there was no reason to question whether I could do this, I should just give it everything I have and as long as my legs are working, I'll keep running.

But problem #2 keeps popping up. If I can barely find the time to fit in 8 miles of running, what will I do when I have to run 20 miles two days in a row? Am I insane?

Running makes me a better person, but do I need 50 miles of it to be a better person?

At what point do I cross over from running to be a better, healthier, saner person and become obsessed with running?

5 comments:

  1. Your body will hold up as long as you train smart. Time is hard thing to come by. On your really long days see about someone coming to watch Eman like Aliyah coming to stay the night and then you head out in the early morning and you could even be done before they wake up..;-) The idea of two marathons back to back is a great idea. That will really be helpful for the ultra. And also keep in mind u are completing an ultra not racing right? Completing it is huge and as long as your endurance is there, you can complete it. ;-)You already know what it takes to run for the long haul/endurance.
    You'll do just great. Burn out is common but you gotta sike yourself up again. No one else can stir you up but you. Start speaking life and positive thoughts to yourself. You can do it Anna. Believe in yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stephanie said. You can do this. You find time when you can and don't stress about missed miles. You have to believe in yourself. Ultras are mind games as much as physical games you have to KNOW you can do it and then prove yourself right. I get burnt out all the time with training for ultras so I scale back and then turn it on again when I am ready. And just to speak from the side of sanity (this is not me speaking) if it is going to make you nuts to train for and run 50 miles don't do it. Running should make you happy and saner not make you nuts. (Ok me speaking again) You can do this, you are kicking some serious ass with your training right now. Take a break and then hit the training again. I BELIVE IN YOU ANNA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Got chased out of the house today and sent to the gym and got in some great cross training so feeling pretty good. Am thinking on long run days, the wee hours of the morning are my best friend. Will have to start treating 4/5 am better so that she will be good to me :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just happened upon your blog in searching for "Ultra Marathon Mamas" and you are an awesome inspiration. I've personally completed 3 marathons to date (2 post-baby) and have been contemplating training for my first Ultra in Spring, 2011.

    I hope you don't mind if I start "blog-stalking" you... Maybe reading your posts will motivate me to catch up on my own blog too (in addition to, of course, my training)!!!

    :)
    Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I don't mind Brandi! Nice to "meet you" too ;-) What ultra are you thinking of training for in the Spring?

    ReplyDelete