Friday, October 28, 2011

Running in the Rain

It is not often that I amaze myself. Most days I feel like it's all I can do to stay above water, figuratively, and on cold, rainy days like this week, literally. That's why moments like the one I experienced yesterday are really something to celebrate.

I was running from E-man's school to the train station to get to work, pushing him in the jogging stroller. It was my fourth run of the day, I was soaked and shivering and it was all just starting to get to me. This is probably the kind of day the school had in mind when they assured me that most parents may start out taking their kids to school, but eventually everyone gives in to the free door-to-door bus service.

But I am determined to set a good example for my son by using the two legs that God gave me to run him to school every day. It's the only way I am forced to consistently get in a minimum of 20 miles a week of running, it keeps me involved at his school and hey, NYC has enough exhaust polluting its air.

Meanwhile, I've been kicking myself for not doing any weight training until I realized today as my coat became heavier and heavier from soaking in the rain, and the wind blew stronger and stronger, this is a great way to get in some resistance training.

And the great thing about all this running is that E-man is really getting into it. Sometime he will jump out of the stroller and start racing me and woah he is fast! I think I need to start taking him to the track.

Here are some more tips for running in the rain: http://www.running-mom.com/running-in-the-rain.html.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Living in Oregon, we run in the rain at least 9 months of the year. And this is where Nike came from! We were born to run in the rain! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete