Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sometimes Your Kid Needs a Break Too

.
For the first three years of E-man's life, I worked from home. It was exhausting. I was always trying to do at least 3 jobs at once and I felt completely unproductive and frustrated.

The first break I had was when I realized I could sign up for a gym with daycare. I learned about that the Christmas before E-man turned 3 and started going there almost every morning. I started getting fit, slowly started getting my sanity back and I started to realize that E-man and I get along much better when we get out of the house every day.

But then I still had work to do and I still felt like I was failing in everything else.

So we signed up for daycare, it started as 3 days a week, then went to 4 days a week, then 5 + gym with daycare on nights and weekends and in our free time, I made it a point to get out of the house as much as possible and go to the museums, the parks, anything that E-man and I could enjoy together.

We went from being home all the time driving each other crazy to getting up in the morning, going out all day and keeping ourselves busy until we came home exhausted and knocked out. Most days we barely even have time or energy for dinner so we just eat a plate of snacks or a salad.

This week I started marathon training and it was the last straw. I was exhausted. The thought of having to get up early on a Saturday to keep my kid busy and happy was just so overwhelming to me I wanted to hide under the covers for the indefinite future.

But hey, when your a mom, your job never stops right? You just suck it up, and get to work. So this morning I got started with the regular routine, putting E-man in his clothes so we could go, "Bye Bye."

Well E-man started crying when I went to put his pants on and said, "Wow Wow Wubzy!?"

I couldn't believe it. My kid didn't want to go out either. He wanted to stay home and have a nice relaxing morning. All this time I've been exhausting myself trying to keep him entertained and he was exhausted too and just wanted a morning off.

He has spent the morning happily posted in front of the TV, watching "Wow Wow Wubzy" and "Thomas the Tank Engine", playing with his new building set, singing, counting, roll playing and acting out his day in school and just having a nice time and I have had a morning to relax.
And now I know...if I am overwhelmed and exhausted, it might be time to stop and take a break, because chances are, my kid needs a break too.

Have I mentioned how humbling and great it is to be this kid's mom!? Now we are off to the gym and the Botanical Gardens Holiday Train Exhibit. :)

2 comments:

  1. That's great my kid is also in daycare mon to fri for 10 hours a day so he is super active there all day on Saturday's we usually stay in and do nothing because we all need to rest at least one day a week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every mother best love her child. and she wants her childhood savagely grow up. I think this post teacupful for our every Mom. I really like this article and there idea.It's a very good post to match it all. Also, need any family problem solved tips to visit here Divorce Lawyer Cherry Creek for a proper life. Thanks for sharing for your good post.

    ReplyDelete