Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ode to Spring

Dear Spring,

How long will you stay away?

Yesterday I thought I heard you coming in the sound of birds chirping, but nope, it turned out it was just the creaking of my door hinge.

Then I thought I heard you coming in the smell of dirt ready to be planted with flowers and vegetables, but nope, it was the smell of yet another blizzard.

I wanted to put my son in the jogging stroller and hang out in the park, but your warmth neglected us and instead the cold winds of winter blew us back inside.

I am aching from the lack of Vitamin D that your sun provides.

I am tired of looking at these four lime green walls and of being climbed on by my toddler. I need the green of your grass for my son to run free in.

I am sick of looking for short-term replacements of your vigor in doses of fattening chocolate.

I venture out in search of you, but I am rewarded by nothing but colds and coughs.

I am weary from trying to stay strong in your absence.

Come Spring, free us with your warmth and sunshine before I go insane under the heavy ice of these cold, dark days of winter.

Love,
One of Your Many Fans

No comments:

Post a Comment