Thursday, February 17, 2011

When Wrong is So Right

Sometimes before a run, you do everything right and still have a terrible run. Other times you do everything wrong and have a great run.

Today I did everything wrong. Of all things to eat before a run, I ate two hot dogs dripped in mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise. If my dad knew that's what I put on my hot dog, it would be the last straw, he would disown me.

Anyway, regardless of what I put on my hot dog, (oh did I mention it was stuffed with cheese?) two hot dogs right before the run are just asking for all kinds of stomach problems. I felt sick just thinking about running as I was eating this.

But the minute I stepped foot outside, I just wanted to run.

I had one of the best runs today! It was 50 degrees, I was running in capris and a short-sleeved shirt, it was my first run with E-man in Central Park in months! Oh and I had these hot pink socks on from Road Runner Sports that made me feel like I was running through the clouds!

I kept thinking of the hot dogs during my run and laughing. You see, whenever I have a really great run, I always go back and analyze everything I did to try to figure out what made it so good so I can do it again.

One time I ate lentil soup the night before a long run and I had a great run. I thought lentil soup sounded really healthy and that must have been why it was so good. So I started eating lentil soup before my runs. But I didn't seem to be able to recreate that great run I had the first time I ate the lentil soup.

So today I decided this, sometimes it doesn't mater what you do or don't do. Some runs are just better than others, and analyzing it will only take away from it. So I'm done analyzing. It was a great run and I am happy with that!

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean! Runner's World always says to eat lightly before a major run, but my whole running life I have known that I can eat a full meal and immediately jet out the door with no problems. I've always been that way and can't explain it -- doesn't matter what I eat! So you go girl!

    ReplyDelete